General allergen information
Who is responsible for allergen information and how do I get it via Olio?
Olio users who request items are responsible for ensuring they have sufficient information related to any health and safety risks. Therefore, a user’s decision to accept food from another user is done at their own risk and this is explained in our T&Cs.
- If you are requesting items and have any known allergies, ask the Olioer who is sharing the item to send you a picture of the allergen information of that product via the app.
- For food rescued through our Food Waste Heroes (FWH) programme, our volunteers will either have the allergen information with them or it will be available on our allergens page. Ask the volunteer to send you the info or to tell you where the food comes from so you can find the info on our allergens page.
- To safely share unpackaged items as a FWH, check out How to share unpackaged food items.
What are the main allergens?
There are 14 common allergens:
🌾 Cereals containing gluten
🍞 Lupin (Flour often found in baked goods)
🍔 Sesame seeds
🍷 Sulphur dioxide & sulphites (often found in wine)
- Take the free training course: https://allergytraining.food.gov.uk/
- Download the guide: Allergens-Leaflet.pdf